Happy Labor Day weekend! I’m just back from a whirlwind trip with Sister to the grand opening of Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge…
… and then a holiday weekend with my family at Montage Palmetto Bluff.
I have so many updates and reviews on both to share with y’all in the coming days!
In the mean time, I know Labor Day for many means cookouts, pool days, the end of summer and long weekend getaways. My kids asked this year… “What IS Labor Day?” At a loss for words, I looked it up.
Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.
“Okay, but what does that mean?” I dug further and found this list of Achievements of Organized Labor. This is reason for celebration!
- End child labor
- Establish the legal right of workers to form unions and collectively bargain for wages, benefits and working conditions
- Establish the 8 hour work day and paid overtime
- Win workers’ comp benefits for workers injured on the job
- Secure unemployment insurance for workers who lose their jobs
- Secure a guaranteed minimum wage
- Improve workplace safety and reduce on the job fatalities
- Win pensions for workers
- Win health care insurance for workers
- Win paid sick leave, vacations, and holidays as standard benefits for most workers
- Win the right for public sector workers to collectively bargain
- Win passage of the Civil Right Acts and Title VII which outlaws job discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin
- Win passage of the Occupational Safety and Health Act
- Win passage of the Family Medical Leave Act
I hope that you and yours had a nice, relaxing weekend. I pray that all in the path of Dorian were able to evacuate or hunker down safely at home.
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED