After our fabulous trip to Kentucky, I was inspired to create our first Kentucky Derby Dinner at home.
I picked up the red roses at the grocery store but didn’t need to purchase one other item! I lined up grass squares to fashion a runner (from Whit’s 13th Par-tee!), arranged the roses in the julep cups I use for flowers (I have a second set we use as water glasses in the dining room), and dug out the horses I used for John’s 6th Rootin Tootin Cowboy Party.
I fashioned red napkins into a rose fold and used my white china.
I had ordered the derby stir sticks from Acrylic Sticks last year, but then never used them.
I’ll share the recipes tomorrow, but everything turned out wonderfully! Honey and I enjoyed Mint Juleps, and we dined on Kentucky Hot Browns and Derby Pie.
While the table was festive and the menu delicious, watching Anna watch the derby was the highlight of our evening! She absolutely LOVED the horses!
It sure was a FUN night and the most exciting race we’ve seen!
More Kentucky Things
Kentucky Road Trip
– Lexington: Keeneland & Buffalo Trace Distillery
– Lexington: Keeneland Spring Meet Race Day
– Lexington > Louisville: Mary Todd Lincoln House, Louisville Slugger Factory Tour
– Mammoth Cave National Park
– Lexington: The Campbell House Hotel
– Louisville: The Brown Hotel
– Kentucky Derby At Home Dinner Celebration
Kentucky Derby Dinner Recipes
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED