Good morning, adventurers! I am so excited to take y’all along on a journey to the Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen in Disney’s Magic Kingdom today. The same skippers who navigate the storied waters of the Nile, Amazon and Congo Rivers across the way at the Jungle Cruise now feed famished families and fellow adventurers on during their down time. This is our favorite “regular” (ie. not signature) Magic Kingdom dining location and we visit on every trip!
When you arrive at the Skipper Canteen, you are invited to wait in a lovely covered courtyard area that seems miles away from the hustle and bustle of Adventureland.
You will be led to a table in one of three curiously quirky rooms. The crew’s colonial-era Mess Hall is full of fun artifacts from treks of yore. Be sure to check out all of the bulletin boards, take a peek at upstairs offices, and read the captions on the pictures. No detail has been overlooked.
While you will be seated in one of the three rooms, you should absolutely take a tour of them all. As you head between the bookcases off of the Mess Hall, be sure to peek at the titles. Each and every one of them ties back to the Jungle Cruise and Magic Kingdom. You’ll find titles including Wishes on a Star, Temple Crashing, Croc Wrastlin, and Surviving Falls from Great Waterfalls.
The proprietor of the restaurant is none other than Dr. Albert Falls, perhaps most recognizably known as the man behind Schweitzer Falls across the way :-) He founded the Jungle Navigation Co. in 1911, a shipping business that moved cargo along the jungle rivers. Well, the famous explorer Dr. Falls was also a member of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, or S.E.A. Just between the bookcases you can now dine in the once-hidden room that served as a secret meeting place for the Society of Explorers! This is my favorite room of the three and I just love the decor and attention to detail.
The third space is known as the Jungle Room and was formerly the family parlor of Dr. Albert Falls. You will feast among the family’s belongings and personal decor. Ilove the chandeliers and their nod to the Tiki Room down the way.
While we adore the theming and complete immersion that you feel inside of Skipper Canteen, we also LOVE the adventurous and exotic menu with cuisine inspired by the flavors of Asia, South America, and Africa. You won’t find anything like it in the park! Here are our favorites:
- The house-made Sangria is my favorite on a hot park day!
- The frozen, fruity, non-alcoholic Schweitzer Slush hits the spot on a hot park day. This one was not on the menu our last couple of visits.
- Honey loves the Tusker beer, which can also be found in Animal Kingdom!
- Falls Family Falafel is amazing and a must eat. We all love it!
- Orinoco Ida’s Cachapas is also a favorite.
- Honey is a huge fan of the Lost and Found Soup. It changes seasonally and he has enjoyed them all.
- There is a bread on the “Secret menu”. It is delicious. Just ask your server to order.
- The Jungle Green Salad is also wonderful.
- Perkins Thai Noodles is my family’s entree of choice!
Now, what we REALLY like to do is order all four appetizers, the secret bread and a bowl of noodles to share!
Since Skipper Canteen is just across the way from Jungle Cruise, it has become our little tradition to enjoy it the ride just before or after we eat. The attraction is original to the park and is a must-do for us on every visit.
While I’m on the topic of Jungle things, I’d be remiss if I didn’t also encourage you to visit Jungle Cruise at Christmas when it becomes Jingle Cruise.
Of the Magic Kingdom table service restaurants I’ve done, this is the clear winner in terms of both ambiance and cuisine. A few tips:
- Advance dining reservations are accepted and recommended. They can be made online or via phone up to 180 days in advance. I handle this for my clients.
- The kids menu features healthy options.
- There are options for less-adventurous eaters to don’t be scared to try!
Adventure is out there!
As Premier Level Advisor with Glass Slipper Concierge, an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner, I offer concierge travel planning for Walt Disney World® Resort, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland® Resort, Disney Aulani Hawaii, Universal, Sea World and to 35 countries on 6 continents through Adventures by Disney®.
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED