Of alllll the places we have dined at Disney, California Grill at the Contemporary Resort remains at the very top of my list. The food and service are phenomenal, the views are memorable, and overall it is just a wonderful experience.
The food is spectacular and the views are sublime. This is the pinnacle of Disney dining.
Californian cuisine celebrates fresh, seasonal ingredients and the international, melting-pot culture of the Golden State.
At this rooftop location, perched high atop the Contemporary Resort, you step into a bygone era. Evoking the spirit of 1971, California Grill celebrates its past while offering a nod to the incredible future ahead.
The new prix fixe menu is a 3-course tasting experience offering dishes designed to bring the 50th celebration to life.
You will start with a bread course.
And I must recommend a California wine or cocktail.
The blueberry lemondrop martini is my favorite cocktail anywhere on earth, and I’ve been trying to recreate it for ages. If anyone knows how, PLEASE report back! I’ll send you a gift card for your knowledge. Haha!
I got close to the recipe here:
Between the four of us, we tried two of the starters. The boys all picked the Cascade Roll and I did the Wontons. Everything was amazing!
- Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons: Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic-Chili Oil, Radish, Pickled Lotus Root
- Cascade Roll: Tuna, Salmon and Hamachi Poke, Jicama, Cucumber, Yuzu-Avocado Purée, Masago Arare, Soy Gel
For entrees, we had two filets, the pork and the fish. Everything was excellent. Like the cocktail, the fish is my favorite entree at Disney and has been on the menu for ages.
- Oak-fired Filet of Beef: Brown Butter Château Potatoes, San Joaquin Valley Asparagus, Golden Raisins Vinaigrette, Roasted Tomato Butter
- Cast Iron-grilled Pork Tenderloin: Goat Cheese Polenta, Artichoke Barigoule, Forest Mushrooms, Spring Onions, Lacquered Pork Belly, Zinfandel Glaze
- Wild Alaskan Halibut on the Grouper Set of Herbed Basmati Rice, Cashew Chutney, Bok Choy, Baby Shiitake, Green Curry-Coconut Nage
For desserts, the chocolate torte and creme brulee were our top picks. I tried the trio at a private event and it was my least favorite.
- Valrhona Chocolate Torte: Candied Peanuts, Salted Caramel, Nougat, Whipped Panna Cotta
- EARidescent Grand Mariner Crème Brûlée: Pineapple-Mango Compote, Hibiscus Textures, Toasted Coconut, White Chocolate
- Chef’s Selections of California Cheeses: Featuring Three Unique Cheeses and House-made Accompaniments
- Five Magical Bites 50 Years in the Making: Honey, Lemon, Carrot, Strawberry, Chocolate
We often plan dinner to catch the Magic Kingdom fireworks, but you can also return to the viewing area before or after dinner if the timing isn’t exactly right. They dim the lights inside, pause service and pipe in the music. There is also a private balcony guests can step out on for viewing.
This is the most spectacular way to wrap up a Disney vacation or family celebration! It has been our go-to for years.
Let’s Travel & My Services
As a Premier Level Advisor with Glass Slipper Concierge, I am recognized for providing the highest level of customer service, experience, and knowledge in the industry. I use my personal connections and firsthand expertise to craft bespoke Disney trips for the most discerning clients. On top of that, Disney vacations are expensive and I know how to get the best value for your time and money. If you’re looking to travel to Disney any time in 2022 or 2023, NOW is the time to plan!
Most aspects of planning a Disney vacation look different and now, more than ever, it is crucial to have the most current, up to date information based on personal experience to plan your vacation! I know these parks inside and out, I’ve used, tested and experienced Genie+, I’ve stayed in all of the resorts, and am a small, one woman show. Let’s go there!
As Premier Level Advisor with Glass Slipper Concierge, an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner, I offer concierge travel planning for Walt Disney World® Resort, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland® Resort, Disney Aulani Hawaii, Universal, Sea World and to over 40 countries on 7 continents through Adventures by Disney® and National Geographic Expeditions.