If you know where to look, there is so much more to Walt Disney World than just the rides in the theme parks! My own family first did Wild Africa Trek in Disney’s Animal Kingdom back in 2018. It was one of the most fun, most memorable experiences we’ve had! Every one of us rated it a five out of five stars.
Sister and I just took CeeCee to Disney for her 10th birthday last week and Wild Africa Trek was a surprise on our itinerary!! Sister and Cee absolutely LOVED it and raved about the experience for the rest of our trip.
Our excursion started by meeting our guides at the Wild Africa station near the Kilimanjaro Safaris. We were geared up and given a few safety instructions. Our group was just 10 guests and, while kids 8+ are permitted, CeeCee was the only child.
Our adventure started with a light hike through some trails. We were equipped with headsets so that everyone in the group could hear the guides at all times.
Our first stop was to meet with an animal specialist at the hippos. We learned all about these creatures and got to see them wake up and play during a feeding session. These little ducks swam sooo close to their mouths! Oh, and this hippo had a very bad cavity in one of his bottom teeth and it had to be removed. Can you even believe that?! Sister remarked that if the tour had ended after the hippos she would have felt she already had her moneys worth. It’s that good!
As you will see, we got a lot of great photos. The guides take pictures of everyone in the group – and everything that you see – and provide you with a free download code of the hi res images at the end!
Moving on from the hippos, we were off to the suspension bridge! Oh my gosh… y’all, this was surreal!! The first of the two bridges took you right over hippos and provided such a great birds-eye view.
They gave you as much time as you wanted to cross each one and soak it all in. This one took you over the crocodiles. eeeekkkk!
These things were pretty wild. A couple of them kept having a bit of a skirmish while we watched – flipping all over the place and splashing with their tails. It was a sight to see.
Our group gathered on a ledge overlooking the crocs to learn more about them!
After the bridges, we boarded a modified version of the trucks from the normal safari rides. They had bench seats along the two sides, and were open in the middle so that everyone could move around when we saw something interesting. A third guide drove the truck while our original two narrated and explained everything we saw. They were able to pull over into certain areas that the usual trucks can’t and we got a lot more detail than I’d ever had before.
About half way through the safari ride, we arrived at this incredible dining pavilion.
Just look at these views!
While we marveled at the animals, our guides set up our lunch! The experience is offered morning and afternoon, and the menu varies by time of day. I specifically booked the 11:45 so we could get the lunch menu. It was served with the delicious jungle juice you can find at some Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants as well as the concierge lounge.
- Chicken curry salad
- Sun-dried tomato hummus and mini pita
- Marinated tandoori shrimp
- Smoked salmon roulade with dill
- Air-dried beef and prosciutto
- Fresh fruit marinated in mint and ginger
While one guide orchestrated lunch, the other set up shop with his camera and took photos of the groups.
With our bellies full, we boarded the vehicle to continue our safari. We loved learning more about the animals we have seen so many times.
After about three hours, it was time to bid asante sana to our to amazing guides!
If you go:
- I highly recommend booking in advance.
- Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a participating adult. Participants must be 8 years of age or older and at least 48 inches tall.
- Participants must be between 45 and 300 lbs. with the harness gear on.
- You must have physical stamina, comfort with heights, and the surefootedness to negotiate small hills, foliage and unsteady rope bridges on this tour. If you are unsure, I have arranged for alternate activities for clients that didn’t feel comfortable with the entire experience.
- Recommended attire includes shorts or pants and a comfortable shirt. Closed-toe shoes with a back strap or hiking boots are required. No flip-flops will be allowed. Skirts or dresses are not recommended. You do not get dirty, and will be fine to continue touring the park afterwards.
- Complimentary lockers for your belongings will be provided. You will also receive a safety vest and wireless headset so that you can hear your guide at all times. Cameras are allowed as long as they can be securely fastened to the vest. Disney provides equipment to do this and said they can usually attach phones in a case.
- Excursion occurs rain or shine, with the exception of severe weather or lightning.
After our experience, we headed to Pandora for rides and the birthday girl’s favorite snacks!
I love to work special things like Wild Africa Trek into my client itineraries. They are the things you remember long after the vacation – it’s not going to be Slinky Dog Dash that you frame at home. :-)
Let’s Travel & My Services
As a Premier Level Advisor with Glass Slipper Concierge, I am recognized for providing the highest level of customer service, experience, and knowledge in the industry. I use my personal connections and firsthand expertise to craft bespoke Disney trips for the most discerning clients. On top of that, Disney vacations are expensive and I know how to get the best value for your time and money. If you’re looking to travel to Disney any time in 2023, NOW is the time to plan!
Most aspects of planning a Disney vacation look different and now, more than ever, it is crucial to have the most current, up to date information based on personal experience to plan your vacation. I travel to the theme parks monthly and have stayed in every single resort from coast to coast! I tour the parks the way you will be touring the parks – whether it is a “best day ever” on VIP Tour, strategizing on Genie+, or waltzing onto attractions with Express Pass, you won’t find a travel advisor with more passion or first hand experience. Let’s go there!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED