I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM!!!
This is no cliche, y’all. The littles helped me make Strawberry Basil Ice Cream yesterday and it is ahhhh-mazing!!!! Topped with a patriotic pick, it’s a sensational sweet for the impending holiday.
We picked the basil straight from our garden, which felt sooooo resourceful. And earthy. Not two things I usually can profess to be. I particularly loved this recipe because it doesn’t have any raw eggs or require any cooking on the stove. Lord knows, it’s too hot for that down South.
DAILY DELIGHT VIDEOS
Strawberry Basil Ice Cream
Source: Southern Living
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (5-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 (16-oz.) container fresh strawberries, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Whisk together first 5 ingredients; cover and chill 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, pulse strawberries, basil, and lemon juice in a food processor 5 or 6 times or until finely chopped. Stir strawberry mixture into chilled milk mixture.
3. Pour milk mixture into freezer container of a 1-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. (Instructions and times will vary. Ours took 20 minutes.)
4. Transfer mixture to an airtight container or a loaf pan covered tightly with aluminum foil; freeze 3 to 4 hours or until firm.
The same basic Southern Living recipe has variations for Coffee Liqueur Cookies and Cream Ice Cream AND Bouron Butter Salted Pecan Ice Cream. I hope to make those real soon!
I don’t know about y’all, but I can hardly believe it’s July. We have super FUN plans close to home for the long weekend.