Lately, my whole family has been totally into salty sweet desserts. My mother started the trend with a delish pudding dessert (that I simply must share very soon) and, the other day, my sous chef and I introduced another must-make to the salty sweet line up. It’s amazing I can get anything done with help like this :-)
Salted Caramel Pecan Dark Chocolate Bars
– 1 c. chopped pecans
– box of graham crackers
– 1c. brown sugar
– 3/4c. butter
– 2 T. whipping cream
– 1 t. vanilla
– dark chocolate chips
– kosher salt
2. Line a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil; lightly grease foil. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer in prepared pan, slightly overlapping edges.
3. Combine sugar, butter, and cream in a medium-size heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and pecans. Pour butter mixture over crackers, spreading to coat.
4. Bake at 350° for 10 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
5. Top warm bars with dark chocolate chips. Let stand 3 minutes and spread chocolate over bars.
6. Immediately sprinkle with salt, and slide foil from pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely (about 30 minutes). Chill and break into bars.
While John and I baked, Cookie entertained himself with the trains, happy to have a rare moment to himself (I understand, baby. I really, really do.)
And, much like my rare moments to myself, Cookie’s was also short lived.