Bestie B hails from New Orleans and ever since our first year in college when her momma mailed us a King Cake straight from the Crescent City I’ve been smitten with the convivial confection. Over the years, I’ve tried my hand and baking King Cakes the traditional way…and, I tell you what, it never ended well. Once the real deal has crossed these lips, there’s just no turning back. So, rather than spending hours in the kitchen this morning to be left with a disappointing imposter, I turned out a new creation for our Fat Tuesday supper. Let me introduce you to the KING KRISPIE!
I am SUPER DUPER ExCiTeD to present this festive fare to the littles. And I’m thrilled with just how easy it is to throw together!
King Krispie Cake
A full recipe of Rice Krispie Treats according to your preferred directions
Powdered sugar and water for glaze
Purple, gold and green tinted sugar
A plastic baby (optional)
– Lightly grease a large cake plate. Form a ring out of aluminum foil (this will help get the shape right) and grease with cooking spray
– Spoon your fresh/warm batch of Rice Krispie Treats onto prepared plate.
– Remove the foil ring. Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray and form the Rice Krispie Treats into the King Cake shape.
– Prepare glaze by mixing powdered sugar and water. I probably used a cup of powdered sugar and just a little bit of water. Stir until you get a consistency that is easy to drizzle. Pour on top of the Rice Krispie Treats.
– Decorate with tinted sugars.
– In a sandwich size zip top bag, add a cup of granulated sugar.
– Add 4-5 drops (or more or less as desired) of food coloring to the bag. I tried both paste and liquid food coloring and the liquid mixed much better for me.
– Thoroughly mix by shaking, grinding and rubbing the sugar against the counter. This is a great job for the littles!
Before I let you go, I have to mention how thrilled I am to have our Den Before & After featured over at Remodelaholic today!!! I first met Cassity when we were working on our basement reno last year and am super honored to have her feature another one of our projects. Pop over and take a peek!!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED