Y’all know what Super Bowl Sunday means around here, right?! It’s Man Day! You know, the kind of day where the man of the house lays around watching football while I tend to his every whim. You may be asking yourself how that is different than any other day. It’s just all about the formality of it, really. You proclaim it Man Day, you do all the things you normally would have done anyway, they feel special and are really so much more agreeable and helpful for the next week. It works. LOL.
In all seriousness, Honey does a whole lot around here and on Man Day he gorges on junk food and sits on the sofa all day. This year he would argue that Man Day turned into aMANda day, but that was all of his own doing. You see, when I went out to the Publix at 7AM to get the fixings for breakfast, he got up and started on pancakes before I was home. And when I was running off some of Elsa’s energy in the yard, he tended to the laundry. I can’t be blamed for his over-eagerness to be helpful on Man Day.
Now, when it was game time Man Day was back to the way it was intended. Huge bowls of chips and dips and the three “men” of the house sprawled out in the den in various sorts of undress and slovenliness. :-) They requested baked potato soup for dinner and I made home made Almond Joy’s for dessert. This is only Honey’s FAVORITE candy of ALL TIME so he was pretty thrilled.
Almond Joy Cups (edited from original)
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate fudge cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 14 large marshmallows
- 7 ounces flaked coconut
- 1 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease mini-muffin tins. I used one pan of 24 mini muffins AND an 8×8″ dish for the rest (cut into bars after cooking).
- In a bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter and flour until well blended. Roll into 1 inch balls and place in prepared mini-muffin pans. Press into bottom and up sides of muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven 7 minutes, until set. (If you are using 8×8″ pan, may need a few more minutes to cook). When you take out of oven, you will need to press the centers back down into the muffin pan to make them look like chocolate cups and to have room for the filling.
- While cups are baking, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup evaporated milk in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 2 minutes, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in marshmallows until melted. Stir in coconut until well combined. Spoon into baked shells while mixture is still warm.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1oz evaporated milk, chocolate chips and 4 tablespoons butter. Microwave on high 1 minute at a time, remove from oven and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in almonds until well coated. Spoon over coconut mixture and spread to cover. Cool completely before removing from pans. Store in refrigerator or freezer.
After everyone was fed, I retreated upstairs with the girl. The Dowager said it best…
Now, it’s time to get put this week’s other “holidays” into high gear… Mardi Gras, Lent, Valentine’s Day!!!