Mother and I have enjoyed arguing for years over which one of us makes the best apple pie. I stand by my own every day of the year. Mine is SOOOO good!! Every time one of us bakes one we dazzle the other with the quantity and quality of rave reviews we get. I most recently made mine for “Friendsgiving” a couple of days before Thanksgiving and it was a hit.
Caramel Apple Pie
1 pie crust box (I like the rolled Pillsbury brand in the refrigerator section)
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (I like Fuji best then Granny Smith)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping (I use smuckers in the brownish squeeze bottle)
Vanilla Ice cream
1. Take your pie crust out to warm up a little, per the package directions.
2. For the filling, in a large bowl stir together all ingredients.
3. Transfer the pie crust into your pie plate and crimp the edges, as desired. Add apple filling.
4. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut together all of the topping ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. My arms usually get very tired way before this happens so I just spread the topping evenly over the apples whenever I can go no further.
5. If you want to get fancy (see below) add in your decorative pie crust embellishments now. Then, I usually wrap tin foil pieces around the edges of my pie crust to keep it from burning.
6. Bake in a 375 oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 25-30 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle with caramel sauce. Cool and serve!
Now, if you want to get extra fancy, I love using these Exact Pie Crust Cutters (with other options here). The Pillsbury crust comes with two rolls inside. I use one for the bottom and then the second to make a decorative leaf border. It works great and looks SOOOO professional! (At least for me…)
I have a video here of another favorite pie crust technique that is super easy >> Lattice Top Pie Crust Video
Now, I SO wish I had a piece of that pie for breakfast today!! I shed a tear when Elsa got the last piece off the counter AND broke my pie plate in the process….
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED