We had a nice quiet St. Patrick’s Day dinner at home after a long day of sports. I updated my old Beef and Guinness Stew recipe with some new ingredients and adapted it to cook in the Instant Pot. It turned out great! I like the new version so much better and it can absolutely be done in a dutch oven as well.
Beef and Guinness Stew
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 bottle Guinness Stout
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diagonal slices carrot (about 8 ounces)
- 1 lb. diced new potato (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in saute mode in Instant Pot. Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt; dredge beef in flour. Add half of beef to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and beef.
2. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in broth and beer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return meat to pan. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, caraway seeds, and pepper. Add carrot, potato and celery.
3. Turn to high pressure cook mode and time 35 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions. Sprinkle with parsley.
NOTE: Always follow the manufacturer directions for your specific Instant Pot, including on sealing, venting and cooking times.
I hope that you and your enjoyed a nice weekend. It turned out to be beautiful here and I ended up inviting a few ladies over to enjoy dessert on the porch last minute. I’ll share more on that later in the week!
8QT Instant Pot Duo Plus (affiliate link)
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED