I’m guessing Sloppy Joe’s aren’t something you hear about everyday anymore. :-) I grew up eating these and still love them… maybe even a little too much. My kids always get so excited when I say they’re on the menu and I realized last week that I never shared my mom’s recipe. I realize this is going to be far from earth shattering, but they are my favorite and have been on my table regularly since we were married. The brown sugar makes them a little sweet and different from other recipes I’ve seen.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 10.75 oz. can tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1 T. worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. prepared mustard
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- sesame seed hamburger buns, toasted
- Cook first three ingredients in a large skillet until beef is browned, stirring until it crumbles; drain.
- Stir in soup and next 6 ingredients; simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve on toasted buns.
I usually double my recipe for leftovers later in the week. We easily get two meals out of it when doubled, often with a little left to freeze. To toast my buns, I just put them on a cookie sheet, cut side up, and broil while watching them like a hawk.
This is one of the ultimate comfort foods for me. I’d love for y’all to share one of yours!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED