We ushered in Spring this Sunday with a little porch party and our two next door neighbors! We rotate hosting dinners every few months when schedules permit and we lucked out with glorious day for dining al fresco.
I wanted something light and easy that could be prepared in advance and think the menu turned out quite well!
- Cheddar Jalapeno Crackers – a staple around here! >> RECIPE
- Spinach dip – brought by my neighbor
- Chips and Guac for the kids – brought by my neighbor
- Ham and Swiss sandwiches >> Recipe follows
- Asian Noodle Salad – SO yummy, add chicken for a main course! >> RECIPE
- Dill potato salad – I made this and it was just okay. Not going to bother sharing recipe.
- Broccoli salad – brought by my neighbor
- Strawberry Shortcake >> Recipe follows
Make Ahead Ham and Swiss Sandwiches
Two packages mini Hawaiian Rolls (12 count each), sliced
1 lb. honey ham, coarsely chopped
8 oz. swiss cheese, shredded
1 small onion, very finely chopped
1 T. worchestershire sauce
1 cup butter, softened
2 T. poppy seeds
4 T. prepared mustard
– On bottom halves of rolls, evenly top with ham and cheese.
– Soften butter and mix well with onion, worchestershire sauce, poppy seeds and mustard. Spread mixture on top halves of split rolls.
– Place sandwiches on baking pan and cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate. These are great to make a day in advance!
– Before serving, preheat oven to 250. Bake sandwiches until heated through – you have a lot of liberty here – I allow at least 30 minutes but have left them in the oven for an hour before a party!
Note: I stretched the recipe to go on 3 dozen Hawaiian rolls and it was fine. Usually I use 2 packages but wanted to make sure I could feed 6 adults, 2 teens and my 2 boys.
1 pint strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/3 cups Bisquick mix
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup whipping cream
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. In large bowl, mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
- In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and the butter until soft dough forms. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6 spoonfuls.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.
- I use heart smart Bisquick and they turn out just fine.
- I did the recipe at 1.5 x quantities to get 10 good sized shortcakes to feed our group.
- I use MUCH less sugar on my strawberries. They were already nice and sweet so I probably didn’t use more than a tablespoon.
- I sometimes make my whipped cream, which is SO much tastier, but for tonight I just used a can.
I hope y’all had a wonderful weekend!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED