As soon as I saw this recipe in my Southern Living magazine, I knew it was going on the menu! It turned out just as delicious and hearty as I had hoped and everyone gobbled it up. Not to mention, I love anything that simmers away all day in the crock pot.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup with Bacon
- 4 thick-cut bacon slices, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (from 1 medium onion)
- 1 cup 1⁄4-inch-thick carrot slices (from 3 medium carrots)
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 3/4 cup 1⁄4-inch-thick parsnip slices (from 2 medium parsnips)
- 3/4 cup 1⁄4-inch-thick celery slices (from 2 stalks)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (from 3 garlic cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups chopped curly kale (from 1 bunch)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- Fresh thyme leaves
Cook bacon in microwave until crisp, according to package directions. Crumble bacon.Step 2
Place potatoes, onion, carrots, beans, parsnips, celery, broth, garlic, pepper, salt, and bacon in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW until potatoes and beans are tender, 5 1⁄2 to 6 hours.Step 3
Uncover and stir in kale. Cook, uncovered, until kale is tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Ladle soup into serving bowls, and garnish with black pepper and thyme leaves.
- I omitted the parsnips and used extra carrots.
- I substituted spinach for kale because we all like it better and I love that I can just buy it in a bag and run with it.
Honey Butter Rolls
I served the soup with our FAVORITE honey butter rolls. I thought about doing a crusty dutch oven bread, but we all love these so much I couldn’t help myself. CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE
This soup is definitely a keeper! One thing I love about winter is all of the yummy comfort food. It’s just too hot here to make soups, chilis and roasts in the spring and summer.
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED