This recipe is a favorite around here, and one I’ve been making for as long as we’ve been married. It’s a great option for a new take on Taco Tuesday as well.
More amazing food photography by me … tastes SO much better than it looks.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 pack taco seasoning (I use lower sodium)
- 3/4 cup water
- can refried beans
- 8-oz. jar taco sauce, divided (I use mild)
- 9″ pie crust, baked (I use Pillsbury and pre-bake per the package)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- Toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro, limes, jalapenos, avocado, etc.
- Prepare pie crust per package directions.
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Brown the ground beef and onions. Add taco seasoning and water. Cook until thickened, simmering for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the beans and 1/3 cup taco sauce in a separate bowl.
- When pie crust is ready, layer in 1/2 of bean mixture, 1/2 meat mixture, 1/2 cheese and all of the crushed chips. Repeat with the other 1/2 bean mixture, meat and cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and top as desired.
We can usually get two meals out of this, cutting the taco pie into 8 wedges.
If you have a great, family friendly recipe to share, I’d love to see it!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED