Keeping with tradition, I let the boys agree on what they wanted for their last supper of summer before school starts. They immediately agreed on steaks on the grill, baked potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts. (Could they be more predictable little men?!) The Magnolia Table Lemon Pie seemed like the perfect summer dessert and a light end to a heavier meal. Since the rest of the meal required very little effort, I set to work on this beautiful and delicious treat!
I’ve had the plates and napkins since our wedding shower days! Plates: Spode Brafferton; Napkins: Crate & Barrel; Pie Plate: Ruffled Pie Dish
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from 3 to 4 lemons)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lemon slices
- Grated lemon zest
- Mint sprigs (it is going crazy in our garden so I relish an opportunity to use it!)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed graham crackers and 1/3 cup of the sugar and stir to blend. Stir in the melted butter until well blended. Press the cracker mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate. Bake until firm, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon juice, and salt on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the baked pie crust. Return to the oven and bake until the center is set when the pan is gently nudged, about 10 minutes.
- Cool the pie on a rack for 30 minutes. Place in the refrigerator until set, at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Just before serving, make the whipped cream topping: In a medium bowl, beat the cream, sugar, and vanilla on high speed until fluffy and the cream holds a soft peak when you pull the beater out of the bowl.
- Spread the cream on the cooled pie. Garnish with fresh lemon slices, a sprinkle of lemon zest, and mint sprigs.
The pie turned out beautiful and delicious, and is absolutely dinner party or celebration worthy!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED