My mother and mother in law prepare most everything on the table for our Thanksgiving feasts. This year I only needed to bring an appetizer and dessert for Honey’s side of the family and set the table for mine. :-) I thought I’d share two favorite “comfort food” recipes that I’ve made for almost twenty years!
Vidalia Onion Dip
- 3 large Vidalia onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 T. butter
- 2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (grate your own for this recipe)
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Saute onion in butter in a large skillet until tender. Combine onion, cheese and remaining ingredients. Pour into a greased 1.5 qt casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and golden. Serve with tortilla chips or assorted crackers.
Note: Don’t overcook as the ingredients will separate and you will have a gross oily mess. Don’t ask me how I know this.
Caramel Apple Pie
1 pie crust box (I like the rolled Pillsbury brand in the refrigerator section)
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (I like Fuji best then Granny Smith)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping (I use smuckers in the brownish squeeze bottle)
Vanilla Ice cream
1. Take your pie crust out to warm up a little, per the package directions.
2. For the filling, in a large bowl stir together all ingredients.
3. Transfer the pie crust into your pie plate and crimp the edges, as desired. Add apple filling.
4. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut together all of the topping ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. My arms usually get very tired way before this happens so I just spread the topping evenly over the apples whenever I can go no further.
5. If you want to get fancy (see below) add in your decorative pie crust embellishments now. Then, I usually wrap tin foil pieces around the edges of my pie crust to keep it from burning.
6. Bake in a 375 oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 25-30 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle with caramel sauce. Cool and serve!
My parents arrived yesterday and I can’t say enough how happy it has made me to enjoy hot Paris tea and hang out with with my mom and have Daddy-O’s help with things like peeling and slicing a bazillion apples and carry heaps of packages from my etsy shop to the post office. When most days are spent caring for everyone else, it feels so wonderful and special to be cared for. I’m very thankful for them. <3
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED