CeeCee celebrated her 6th birthday with a beautiful Nutcracker themed party this afternoon, and we hosted the family afterwards with a good hot meal on a cold Georgia night. Our menu consisted of salad (from a bag), hot honey butter rolls, roasted pork tenderloin, macaroni and cheese and butter beans. Dessert was just a mini dove ice cream bar. I prepared most of this ahead, which is always really nice. I believe I’ve shared all of these recipes in the past, but will include them here to keep you from having to hunt around.
JuJu’s Roasted Pork Tenderloin
This is my mother in law’s recipe and it is delicious! Prior to this one, I only liked pork tenderloin from the Big Green Egg. For nights when it is too cold to grill we do this one.
2 lbs pork loin
1/2 cup olive oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T red wine viengar
1 T dijon mustard
1 tsp rosemary (I used fresh because I had it)
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
Whisk marinade ingredients together; Pour in large zip top bag, add pork and let marinate for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
Remove pork to wire rack on a baking pan, reserving marinade. Roast at 325 for about 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes.
Keeper Macaroni & Cheese
I’ve tried lots of mac&cheese recipes over the years, and this one is the keeper.
1 tsp salt
1 pound elbow cavatappi pasta
1 quart whole milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
12 ounces Gruyere, grated
8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 slices white bread
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a large measuring cup or bowl the microwave until warm, but not boiling or bubbling.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth.
- Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
- In the food processor (I also use it to grate my cheese from the block and don’t bother washing in between), pulse the bread slices to turn into bread crumbs. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Combine with the fresh bread crumbs and sprinkle on top of the macaroni.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
- I buy a block of gruyere based on how much I feel like spending on that expensive of a cheese. I substitute swiss cheese to make up the difference and get me to the 12-ounces. I’ve never done straight gruyere.
- To make this ahead, I go all the way through the step where you combine the cheese and macaroni and pour into my dish. I then make my breadcrumbs and store them in a zip top bag. Before cooking, I mix the breadcrumbs with the butter and sprinkle over the top. It takes a few minutes longer to cook since it is starting cold.
- I always grate my own cheese because I feel like it melts better.
The Best Hot Honey Butter Rolls
You will find these on our table at least two nights a week. If my boys had it their way, it would be every night.
Bag Bridgford Parkerhouse Style Roll Dough (yellow, freezer)
2 T. butter
1 T. honey
- First thing in the morning, spray your dish (I use a 9×9″ baker and 9 pieces of dough OR a 9×12″ and 12 pieces) and put the frozen dough pieces in the pan.
- Leave them in a warm spot to thaw and rise.
- Preheat the oven according to the package directions. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of melted butter before putting them in.
- Bake according to the directions on the back of the bag.
- When they finish, drizzle them with another tablespoon of melted butter and about the same amount (or more!) of honey. They are absolutely delicious!!!!
I hope that y’all are enjoying a nice long weekend! We have certainly made the most of ours. It seems like we were just on holiday break, but a 3 day weekend felt much needed.
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED