This is the first recipe I tried from Ina’s new Modern Comfort Food and, I’ll be the first to admit, it sounded strange at first glance. I read her thoughts on it and was sold!
There’s an Argentinean restaurant in Paris that serves the most amazing steaks plus pureed potatoes. I love the lemon ones because the acidity balances the richness of the steak and potatoes. This is truly updated comfort food.
Lemon Mashed Potatoes
Modern Comfort Food
Slightly adapted from Ina’s Pureed Potatoes with Lemon
- 2.5 lbs large Yukon gold potatoes
- salt and pepper
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 T lemon zest (2 lemons)
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1.5-2 inch chunks. Place the potatoes in a large pot, add water to cover by one inch, and add 2 T. salt. Cover, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until potatoes are very tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the butter in a .5 inch dice and put back in the fridge.
- After the potatoes are drained, pour the milk into a small saucepan set over low heat and heat just until it simmers. Turn off the heat.
- Put the drained potatoes back in their pot. Use a masher, adding milk as needed, to smooth the potatoes. With the heat on low, whisk in the cold butter several bits at a time, alternating with milk as needed. Add 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
- Just before serving, whisk in lemon zest and serve hot.
This one was delicious with a grilled steak, just as promised. I wasn’t sure if they males in the family would love a deviation from normal creamy mashed potatoes, but it was two thumbs up around the horn!
I hope you and yours enjoyed a lovely weekend. Ours was filled with sunshine and sports!
affiliate link used
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED