We eat so many soups and stews in the chilly months. I can hardly keep track of our favorites and really should create some sort of index for myself. This Mexican Chicken Soup was absolutely delicious and quick enough for a school night. My family gobbled it up and we were all thrilled that there was enough left over for another meal. This one is highly recommended!
Mexican Chicken Soup
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa At Home
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (see below)
- Good olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock (10 cups)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 (6-inch) fresh white corn tortillas (I used flour)
For serving: sliced avocado, sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and tortilla chips
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions start to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes with their puree, jalapenos, cumin, coriander, 1 tablespoon salt (depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock), 1 teaspoon pepper, and the cilantro.
- Cut the tortillas in 1/2, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips and add to the soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and season to taste.
- Serve the soup hot topped with sliced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and broken tortilla chips.
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts from Frozen
I’ve mentioned a few times that our friends own a meat company and have been selling to our neighbors weekly since March. We purchase our chicken breasts in huge 10 lb (at least) bags. Since it is frozen, I’ve nailed down the easiest way to prepare it for recipes!
- Place frozen chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot. They can be stacked or overlap.
- Pour in 1 cup water or broth. I use broth if I have carton open in my fridge. Otherwise, water.
- Tighten the lid and place valve in sealing. Set the timer to 10 minutes.
- When complete, let the pressure naturally release for 5-10 minutes. Check that the internal temp is at least 165.
- It shreds like a dream!
Other Favorites: Barefoot Contessa At Home
Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Barefoot Contessa At Home
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED