I made this creamy gnocci soup on a chilly fall day last week and it was the ultimate comfort food. Every bite was like a warm hug. :-) I went back for seconds and completely gorged myself. The rest of the family felt the same way. I highly recommend making this one and am already looking forward to my next pot!
Creamy Gnocci Soup
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 T fresh rosemary, chopped
- 5 T butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T flour
- 4 c vegetable broth (add water if need to thin)
- 4 c baby spinach (I pinch off stalks)
- 1 1/2 c heavy cream (I had 1 c. so used milk for other 1/2 c)
- 1/2 c grated parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1 lb gnocchi pasta
1. In a large dutch oven, saute onion in 3 T butter until golden. Add the carrots, celery, garlic, herbs and seasoning. Cook 5 minutes, until veggies begin to soften.
2. Stir in the remaining 2 T butter and flour, cook 1 minute. Add 4 cups broth. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, until the veggies are tender.
3. About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the spinach, cream/milk, parmesan, and gnocchi. If the soup is too thick, add additional broth or water.
4. Serve the soup topped with the bacon and parmesan.
I hope you and yours enjoy a wonderful holiday week ahead!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED