I’ve gone through more than my fair share of breakfast casseroles and this one quickly became a favorite. I’ve made it twice this fall and have it on the menu for Thanksgiving week! It’s yummy, hearty and feeds a crowd of hungry people.
Sausage & Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Source: Magnolia Table
- 1 lb loose breakfast sausage
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 vidalia onion, diced
- 32-oz bag frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 8 large eggs
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- pinch ground sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c. minced chives
- Salsa, for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray 9×13″ baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Line a plate with paper towels. In a (very) large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes, breaking it up with the side of a spoon. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the paper towels. (At this point I wipe out some of the grease.) Saute the onion in the same pan until. translucent. Stir in the hash browns and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the sausage. Remove pan from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk and spices. Whisk in cheddar. Stir into the sausage mixture.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake until top is browned and center set, about 45 minutes. Cover with foil if the top is browning too fast.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chives, if desired.
- This is best served the same day it is baked, but my people eat anything and enjoyed the second half of the pan the next day.
My other favorite is here:
And you can find many breakfast favorites HERE.
I hope you enjoy a wonderful holiday week!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED