Coming on the heels of my boiled peanuts post, another decidedly Southern staple is black eyed peas. When I saw this recipe for a relish in Southern Living, the ingredients when straight on the grocery list. I served it over grilled chicken, with roasted potatoes and asparagus on the side.
Black Eyed Pea Relish
adapted from Southern Living
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T white wine vinegar
- 1 t sugar
- 1/4 tsp each salt, pepper, crushed red pepper
- 2 cups cooked field peas (I used black eyed peas)
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 2 T thinly sliced shallot
- 2 T finely chopped dill
- 1 T chopped and drained capers
Bring oil, vinegar, sugar and spices to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir in peas, tomatoes, shallot, dill and capers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until warm, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve warm or cool completely and serve at room temperature.
I had so much fun enjoying the tasty left overs!
- Salad – tossed with arugula for lunch
- Dip – served with tortilla scoops as a snack
This one was light, easy and flavorful!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED