Looking back, it seems that every January I try a new cinnamon roll recipe. It is probably my family’s number 1, most favorite breakfast indulgence. And, most of our January Saturdays are pretty quiet so I have time to cook. This recipe was delicious and the boys are already asking for it again. I love that you don’t have long rise and rest times so they are feasible to make and eat in one morning without being up before the sun. I also like that it doesn’t make a zillion servings. Just enough to feed our family of four. I’m calling it “Easier Cinnamon Rolls” because last year’s version was “Easy Cinnamon Rolls”. :-)
Easier Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 ½ c flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs oil
- 4 tbs butter (at room temperature or softened)
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter (at room temperature or softened)
- 2 oz cream cheese (at room temperature or softened)
- 1/2 lb powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbs milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine water, yeast, sugar, and oil in a separate bowl. Let rest 5 minutes until foamy on top.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture. Mix until combined (I used stand mixer.) Add flour 1 Tbs at a time if too sticky until easy to handle. Knead for 10 minutes (by hand or in mixer – I use dough hook on stand mixer). Let rest 5 minutes.
- Roll out dough into a rectangle on a floured surface and spread butter over top. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll up and slice about every ½ inch.
- Place in greased pan and bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for frosting. Again, I used stand mixer.
- When rolls finish, top with frosting and enjoy!
- Unflavored dental floss is great for cutting the rolls! Slide it under the roll and pull through to create a cut.
- My favorite cinnamon rolls when I have time or need more are THESE. But I prefer the frosting from this recipe (double it for this cinnamon roll recipe).
Enjoy your Sunday!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED