This is such a quick and easy dinner, and my boys have been absolutely loving it. I think using high quality ingredients is key here – I do grate the Parm, I use the recommended spaghetti and I buy a head of fresh garlic to work with. We were also intrigued by the story behind the meal…
It’s sometimes called Midnight Spaghetti because chefs make it for a quick meal at midnight when they get home from work.
Spaghetti Aglio E Olio
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound dried spaghetti, such as DeCecco
- 1/3 cup good olive oil (I cut this in half!)
- 8 large garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water before you drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a pot large enough to hold the pasta, such as a 12-inch saute pan or a large, shallow pot. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until it just begins to turn golden on the edges-don’t overcook it! Add the red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more. Carefully add the reserved pasta-cooking water to the garlic and oil and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by about a third.
- Add the drained pasta to the garlic sauce and toss. Off the heat, add the parsley and Parmesan and toss well. Allow the pasta to rest off the heat for 5 minutes for the sauce to be absorbed. Taste for seasoning and serve warm with extra Parmesan on the side.
I hope you enjoyed a wonderful weekend!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED