My boys have a new favorite supper and it’s been on rotation for about six weeks now – steak fajitas with homemade flour tortillas. I got a bee in my bonnet to make the tortillas after reading about them on Half Baked Harvest. Well, at one bite in, both my kids declared they could never eat another store bought tortilla. LOL. I have created monsters.
Homemade Flour Tortillas
The recipe and method I follow is from Half Baked Harvest. I have gotten exponentially better at them each time I’ve made them. Now, I can crank them out!
If you’re going to venture into this, I strongly suggest investing in these two items:
- Tortilla press
- Parchment rounds (I can make an entire batch with just 2 rounds, reusing them and lightly spraying with oil)
These are our favorite and the only fajitas we make at home. I’ve shared the recipe before, but here it is again.
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa At Home
- 1 New York Strip Steak, about 1 lb., grilled and cut into strips
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and cut in 1/4 inch strips (I used red because I had one)
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and cut in very thin strips
- 1 medium red onion, halved and then thinly sliced
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 6-8 8″ flour tortillas
- 6 oz. Monterrey jack cheese, grated
- 6 oz. Manchego cheese, grated
- Sliced scallions, cilantro, avocado, sour cream and salsa for serving
- If you haven’t already, grill or prepare steak. Cut into strips.
- Pour 1 T. oil into large skillet and heat over medium. Add cumin seeds and saute for about one minute until fragrant. Add all four peppers and onion and saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until starting to blister and are very tender. About halfway through, stir in garlic and 2 tsp salt.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400. Wrap tortillas in foil and heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine the two cheeses into a large bowl and prepare toppings while peppers cook.
Hope you’ve enjoyed a great weekend!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED