I literally just talked about how food is an important part of home around here. Well, now that I’ve got three males that want to park in front of the TV all of football season, I have enjoyed planning a fun dip or appetizer for them to nosh on. This week’s winner was Spinach & Artichoke Dip. I honestly didn’t know if the boys would eat it, but Honey loves this type of dip. Worry not, they devoured it. :-)
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Slightly adapted from Modern Comfort Food
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 1/4 t ground cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T minced garlic
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temp
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/2 good mayonnaise (I use Duke’s)
- 9 oz package frozen artichoke hearts defrosted, lightly squeeze liquid out and roughly chop (I can only find in a jar so use that)
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach defrosted, lightly squeeze liquid out
- 1 1/4 c freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- For serving, 1 baguette, sliced diagonally 1/2″ thick and toasted and/or tortilla chips. I also serve with salsa and sour cream, like a local restaurant (Houston’s…. yum!)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large sauté pan heat the butter over moderate heat. Add the onions, cayenne pepper, 1 t salt and 1/2 t black pepper and sauté for 10 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and sauté 20 minutes more stirring occasionally until onions are brown and caramelized.
Stir in the garlic and cook for one minute.
Meanwhile, mix cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until smooth.
Add artichokes and spinach to the bowl, along with the onion mixture, and stir to combine.
Stir in 3/4 c parmesan.
Transfer to a. 11x8x1.5″ oval baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 c parmesan.
Bake 20-25 minutes until edges are browned and bubbly.
Here are some other favorites I’ve shared in the past and continue to make!
Loaded Blue Cheese Chips
Vidalia Onion Dip
Teen Superbowl Party Nacho Bar
Teen Superbowl Snack Board
Sausage Rolls with Maple Mustard
Honey & Charcuterie
Jalapeno Cheddar Crackers & Caramelized Bacon
I have a few other dips I’ll share over the course of the season. If you have a favorite tailgate food, share it here!
DIXIE DELIGHTS DELIVERED